From Cupcakes to Mosaics: Some Poetry for the People

by Laura on 09/10/2010 · 12 comments

Who would have thought poetry possible? Certainly not me, the business writer, the essay creator, the creative journalist at heart and by practice.

But alas, our writing evolves and it should. Poetry is groovy and we all can do it.

Not long ago, I took Sage Cohen’s Poetry for the People course – an fascinating personal writing journey that forced me to  live slightly larger by putting descriptions, metaphors and seemingly vanilla thoughts into art words (that’s my humble definition of poetry.) I dug deep and diverged from my reports and talking points into the magical world of analogies and colors.

Sage was one of the first authors I interviewed and I’m eternally grateful to have grown as a writer from her inspiration, tools and wisdom.

So…here’s my third poem in my very short collection. It’s way better than the first I wrote a few years ago, “An Ode to Cupcakes,” though I do adore those divine creations.

P.S. On Sunday, I have the honor of reading one of my very own special poems at one of my best friend’s weddings. Yippee!

A Mosaic Coming to Life

by Laura Cococcia

Red loves purple because it’s not blue or green. Too often, red feels the burden of having to be paired with blue to celebrate patriotism and green to celebrate consumerism. Red likes that purple can be a bit different, living on its own, with few obligations.

Indigo lovA Mosaic Coming to Life Poemes my friend Olivia, who, in turn, loves indigo just as much. They can often be found together sporting the latest denim outfit or painting landscapes.

Anxiety wears flat-soled sandals. It wishes it wore fast running sneakers.

Jealousy eats granola for breakfast, by choice. While eating in martyrdom, jealousy wishes it had eggs, pancakes and sausage and loathes anyone who does.

Most people know that fear rents space at the top of the Empire State Building. What few people know is that fear actually owns a large, well-decorated 5 bedroom house in suburban Connecticut and often pays visits to the wives in the neighborhood who wondered how they ever got there.

Blue borrows a wedding dress since it would like to experience, just once, the beauty of the day when women all over the world are looking for blue to share. Blue, of course, promptly returns the dress to its owner.

Pink sings boldly, loudly and slightly off pitch – but just belts it out.

Truth tastes like watermelon, coming into our lives very infrequently, but enjoyed by so many. Refreshing. If truth were always in season, perhaps it would taste a bit more like peanut butter.

Are you a poet that doesn’t know it? Share a link to your work – or your hopes to become the next Mary Oliver – in the comments below.

If you liked this post, please subscribe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Tara Mohr September 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Sounds like a very cool workshop. I’m going to check out Sage.
I’ve been using poetry more on my blog lately and enjoying it. Sometimes there’s a topic I feel that inkling to write about – but it wants to express itself in poetry.
It’s such a different process for me than writing in prose and I enjoy giving myself over to the writing more, shutting of my analytical mind, and just listening for what shows up.
Here’s one recent piece – http://wiselivingblog.com/2010/07/even-in-the-struggle/
Thanks Laura!

Laura September 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Hey Tara! So nice to hear from you. I’ve been seeing your poetry – and loving it – and agree that it’s such a different process. My favorite part is that there are no rules or frameworks or arguments to make! Hope to speak more soon, friend!

Linda September 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I like it. I like it a lot.

An interesting expression of emotion from a different angle. Very well done, Laura!

Laura September 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Aww, thanks Linda! I’m trying – Sage’s prompts were a huge help :) Really appreciate your kind words!

Jennifer Monahan-Searles September 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

What a great poem! :)

Laura September 12, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Thanks Ms Jennifer – though I know how much you love the cupcakes. :)

Sage Cohen September 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM

It was so exciting to witness this explosion of color and life the first time — and equally delightful to read it again here! Write on, dear Laura! : )

Laura September 12, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Thank you thank you my friend! You truly have inspired me. I keep trying to write a bit every week on the poetry side – I love it when my brain hunts for word choices that are different from what I’d normally default to – and what interesting words come up! Hope to speak to you soon.

Erik September 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I actually read this a few days ago and wanted to re-read it. I typically dread reading other people poetry. Often their enthusiasm outshines their talent and I have to try too hard to find the right words to encourage, while not offending. Plus, I’m seriously critical of poetry for completely unjustifiable reasons. As a onetime poetaster, I suppose the bad stuff strikes too close to home.

All that said, I really think this is a wonderful poem. I can honestly say that I wish I’d written it, for if I had, I’d be proud of it, and that’s a great feeling.

BTW, do you know the poetry of Frank O’Hara? He was pretty special. Very New York, very influential and very wonderful. He called his poetry “I do this, I do that” poems…

and video of him actually reading one of my favorites…

(the text: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=171381 )

Keep writing.

Laura Cococcia September 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for your kind words Erik – and for sharing the links! I didn’t know Frank O’Hara – until now – so thank you for sending those over, and for the encouragement to keep writing. Poetry is often hard to throw out there. But I guess that’s what writing is all about – just do it and see what sticks!

Scott June 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for the lovely verse on a mosaic. Well done. I made a mosaic of an apple tree to honor the one fruit tree we had to “ax” to build my studio 24 years ago, using broken shards from pots that did’ent make it to market. I’ve often thought telling the tree’s story in poetry as well as pottery would be fitting tribute. You’ve shown its possible!
STC