The Help Haiti Blog Challenge: Gratitude Donations

by Laura on 01/17/2010 · 10 comments

Post written by Laura Cococcia. You can follow Laura on Twitter.

I received an email today from American Express, announcing its effort to help Haiti through the Amex Membership Rewards program. Members can donate points to various causes that are supporting the rescue and relief efforts.

You can read more about the program here … but here are the basics:

American Express® Cardmembers enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program can redeem points to support charities aiding the relief effort in Haiti. For every 1,000 points, $10 will be donated to your charity of choice. You can choose from a list of organizations that are dedicated to the Haiti earthquake relief effort.

There is no limit to the number of Membership Rewards points you can donate, provided you have the available points balance in your Membership Rewards account. You can donate points in increments of 1,000, 5,000, 10,000, 50,000, and 100,000. Cardmembers can also charge a donation on their American Express Card. There will be no cost to the charity for the transaction.

Kelly Diels, fabulous friend and amazing author of the blog Cleavage, is spearheading The Help Haiti Blog Challenge. It’s a global conversation that’s spreading like wildfire, an effort that numerous blog friends are taking part in. I’m amazed at the power of our online community – and the power of Kelly’s spirit.

She was inspired by an equally amazing woman, Danielle LaPorte, of White Hot Truth – she inspires me with every post.

What I’m Doing To Help Haiti – Join Me

Here’s my part:

I’m pledging 1000 Amex Membership Rewards points to the company’s relief effort program for each comment on this post, mentioning the one thing you’re grateful for in your life. I have tens of thousands of points to give, all results of purchases or trips, and quite frankly, I don’t need them.

That’s it.

Let’s get on it – and the power of our gratitude can only multiply ten-fold. Or a thousand-fold.

I’ll start: I’m grateful for having a warm, safe apartment – today, I’m able to stay out of the rain and write this post in safety.

What are you grateful for?

If you liked this post, please subscribe to the RSS feed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

kreddy January 18, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I am grateful for my family and for the opportunity to contribute so easily through your website and others.

Laura January 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM

@kreddy: Thank you! I’m adding to the spreadsheet now. Have a wonderful day!

Emma January 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I am grateful that my family is all together!

Jennifer Monahan-Searles January 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I am grateful for all the people, things and events – both “good” and “bad” – that have helped shape my life. Laura – what a great idea!

Sarah Laurence January 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I’m not an Am Ex cardholder, but we already donated to the Red Cross through local organizations that were matching contributions. Great to see the aid pouring into Haiti, but I fear they need more than money as the infrastructure is unstable or missing. I hope some long term planning will be involved. I’m grateful that people care. Nice to reconnect with you!

Carol Rutz January 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I’m grateful for my husband, as it was eight years ago this week that meeting him for the first time.

Blessings on your endeavour.

Cate January 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Although I’m not an Amex user, I think this is a good way of encouraging people to donate and connect with bloggers like you who can pass the word onto others. I’ve donated through an aid organisation and need to keep reminding myself that I’m grateful for being able to do this and fortunate for having the technology that allows me to do so. But most of all I’m grateful for people such as you for spreading the word and reminding us all what living is all about.

Thanks
Cate

Laura January 19, 2010 at 6:47 AM

@Emma – Thank you!

@Jennifer – I appreciate you saying both the good and bad – the bad is something we can be grateful for (notice that I didn’t say “should”) but in my experience, that type of gratitude has only made me stronger.

@Sarah Laurence – So nice to “see” you! I do agree that they will need much more than money. Just seeing how much food was sitting in the airport – with no way to get it to the people – was unbelievable. Amex has a number of different causes to donate to, and I’m going to choose Doctors Without Borders as one of them, but I’ll also research which organization needs / is spearheading the rebuilding efforts and let you know. Thank you for your comment!

Laura January 19, 2010 at 6:50 AM

@Carol – Congratulations! What a wonderful blessing. And thank you for your comment!

@Cate – hi friend, so nice to hear from you. Thank you for your kind comment – I almost can’t believe that 15 years ago (when I was in university), we may have not been able to do this – spread awareness so far and wide with technology. It excites me to see the possibility of what can come to help inspire change, but until then, I’m just grateful to keep “learning” through this classroom. Speak soon!

Laura Cococcia January 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Update as of 1/21: 6K points donated to Doctors without Borders!